BASIL TOMATO SAUCE
- 680ml (23 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, whole
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 large egg
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 4 Provolone slices
- Chopped parsley (garnish)
- Parmesan (garnish)
- In a medium saucepan, over low heat, combine all ingredients.
- Cover and simmer for 25 minutes. The sauce will reduce, thickening and darkening in color.
- Remove the basil and bay leaves.
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Whisk together the egg, onion, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, salt, pepper, and garlic. Then, add the ground beef and bread crumbs and mix together with your hands.
- Form 2 tablespoon meatballs and place in a glass dish. Pour the prepared sauce over top, covering each meatball.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then add provolone slices and bake for another 5 minutes.
- While the meatballs are baking, cook your spaghetti according to package directions
- Keep all the basil leaves connected to their stem for easier removal at the end.